Orthodontic treatment is becoming more and more sophisticated, giving patients looking to straighten their teeth a variety of options for braces. cbd oil for dogs Canada But just because there are more options doesn’t mean adults and children alike don’t still have to take some precautions during the orthodontics process.
Orthodontists strive to achieve the perfect smile for their patients. But to achieve that, patients have to hold up their end of the bargain as well. That means brushing and flossing regularly, and avoiding certain foods.
Don’t eat that!
While wearing braces, it’s important to avoid foods that can damage the wires or brackets.
Hard or sticky foods can break or bend the brackets or wires. Broken or bent braces can lead to increased treatment time, so all patients are encouraged to follow a few simple guidelines.
- When eating fruits such as apples or pears, it is best to cut them into bite-sized pieces first, rather than biting into the whole fruit. When eating corn on the cob, always cut it off the cob.
- Don’t chew gum – there is nothing worse than trying to pick out bubble gum from braces brackets!
- Avoid hard and sticky candies, such as caramels, gummy candies, and things like candy canes. Just like bubble gum, they will stick to the brackets and wires.
- Stay away from hard rolls and bagels, as they can bend the wires. The same goes for pizza crust (a slice of pizza is fine, just don’t eat the crust).
- Always cut meat into small, bite-sized pieces.
- Popcorn is a great movie snack, but should be avoided while wearing braces. cbd oil for dogs Canada
A good rule of thumb is if you aren’t sure whether a food might harm your braces, it is probably best to avoid it just in case.
I have a bent wire, now what?
If your braces become bent or damaged in any way during the course of your treatment, please call your orthodontist’s office right away. If a sharp wire is exposed, place wax over the exposed piece of wire until you can get to your orthodontist’s office. The same can be done with loose brackets or bands.
The good news is there are new advances in dental technology that don’t require you to avoid any foods that you love. With treatment like Invisalign, patients can get the straight teeth they want for around the same cost as traditional braces, and keep the diet to which they’ve grown accustomed.
Invisalign is a great option for its aesthetic qualities. The invisible braces work through a series of completely removable aligners. The aligners come out when you brush and floss, and when you eat, so you don’t have to worry about food getting caught in pesky brackets.
To determine which type of orthodontic treatment is right for you, schedule a consultation with your orthodontist. Together, you can create a treatment plan that will create the best results for the smile you’ve always dreamed of.
And remember, even when not undergoing orthodontic treatment, it’s best to enjoy sugary foods and drinks in moderation, and to maintain a healthy brushing and flossing regimen.